Saturday, February 19, 2005

A Motto for my life

A friend asked me if I have a motto for my life. I remember that I did have one, but I cannot quite remember what it is. I suppose that if I have forgotten it, it probably means it no longer suites me. I do wonder: to what purpose would a motto achieve? After all, we are constantly becoming someone else (Heraclitus says we never step on the same river twice); a motto will only limit one's potential. Plus, whatever the motto may be, it takes will power to believe in the motto; ultimately, everything is "an act of the will". If you are confident and believe in yourself, then having a motto or not really does not make a difference; if you are not confident, then having a motto will not make a difference either: you will doubt yourself, constantly asking yourself if that is the right motto or not, like our dear friend Prufrock (remember the hundred decisions and revisions?). But if my dear friend shall insist on a motto for her, I really only have two:

1. Will to power (Nietzsche)
2. In my end is my beginning (inverted T.S. Eliot)

The first one is, well, will to power: always believe in yourself and take action. Do not be hindered by Joycean paralysis. The second one is to remind you that you are in a constant state of change: what you have achieve today is merely a start for whatever you will be achieving tomorrow.

O friend! You told me that both mottos are too grand! Yes they are! One should always strive for greatness; after all, what would a motto like "life is rotten cheese, so stick to it!"do?

1 Comments:

Blogger Minch said...

u are my role model! except for that u're an occassional LOSER :D Hehehe.... but aniways, from wat you wrote here and those childhood entry/reflection thingy... totally gets me to appreciate the leadership qualities in you. Envious that u are able to just live with the flow and changes and not limit urself. Wow... long comment here :P

10:37 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home